Piano out of tune on recording

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 18:52:01 EST

In a message dated 2/23/00 7:58:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<< He is such a gentleman, that he would not like to complain. Most Jazz clubs
 and recording studios are so tight for money that I think he works around
 their problems.
 Even in his advancing years, he is one heck of a talent.
 Regards Roger >>

I tuned for Dave Brubeck here in a Madison nightclub back in the mid 80's, my
ET days.  The club had a nice, new Baldwin grand and I did my very best on it
at all times.  Of course, Brubeck loved it and I have never met a more
congenial artist.  I was in awe, as if I were talking to a saint, just to be
there speaking to him.  I drank up every note of his performance.

Of course, the flawed tuning in the 1959 recording is no reflection on
Brubeck's artistry nor of the high quality of recording techniques used 41
years ago.  I'll bet that the fact that the piano was less than well prepared
was simply not thought of,  noticed or even understood.

The popular expression, "close enough for Jazz [or Rock n' Roll]" supports
the low level of tolerance there was for recordings at that time.  One of
Rock & Roll's greatest hits that used a piano,  Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls
o' Fire" used a pretty funkily tuned piano.  I sure would like to be able to
do a remake of that.

"Take Five" and "Blue Rondo A La Turk" are classics that transcend completely
any technical deficiencies.  However, I sure would love the opportunity to
tune and prepare a piano again for Brubeck today and have him re-record
"Strange Meadow Lark" to show how beautifully the piano really can express
that kind of music.

Allen, one of my best friends, accompanist and finest local pianists and pipe
organists I know is a graduate of Oberlin.  He is Maestro Gregg Punswick.  He
is thrilled with the possibilities he encounters when playing his keyboards
in various temperaments.   As most pianists must, he often works with pianos
that are less than satisfactorily tuned.  He says he constantly has to adapt
his playing to the way the piano (or organ) actually is.  You have never seen
a happier nor more totally focused and energetic musician than when you have
Gregg at a well tuned and prepared piano.  His favorite piano is the Mason &
Hamlin.  He says that it is the rich tone it has, especially in the bass that
he likes so much.

Regards to all,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin