The Plate

Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:03:08 -0500

Terry -

Have you tried using shellac?  It is not water-based, but denatured
alcohol is really not very objectionable.  Shellac will take the powder
just fine, but does tend to dry very quickly - a little too quickly to
keep a good wet "edge".  Contact Homestead Finishing for their product
called "Shellac-Wet", which is essentially a flow-out additive for
shellac.  You can also order the shellac from them in flake form; I would
recommend the white shellac or dewaxed extra pale for this application,
spraying a couple passes using a 1 - 1 1/2 lb. cut.  After app. 2 hours
dry time, lightly scuff and then you could top coat with Enduro's clear
poly, which is what you are currently using, yes?

One caveat.... when top coating with ANY poly over shellac, it MUST  BE
DEWAXED SHELLAC, or you will have serious craters!  Both of the above
grades I mentioned above are dewaxed.  I have sprayed many kinds of poly
over dewaxed shellac literally hundreds of times with no adhesion
problems whatsoever.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com