Piano out of tune on recording

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:21:02 EST

Dear List,

Today I got a remastered version of the classic Jazz recording "Time Out"
made in 1959 by Dave Brubeck.  It is the album with the well known cuts,
"Take Five" and "Blue Rondo A LA Turk".  While listening to it on my
computer, I noticed particularly on the cut, "Strange Meadow Lark" that the
piano is out of tune.  It would not be acceptable today at all.

I noticed faulty temperament, unisons and octaves and a high treble that is
in outer space somewhere, stretched way, way more than is defensible.  The
tuning profession has come a long way since then.  I think it shows too that
the idea that jazz always was and must be in Equal Temperament just isn't so.
 In many recordings from that era, the piano is not tuned properly at all but
people still loved and enjoyed the recordings.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin