blow discrepancy:technique?

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:12:34 EST

In a message dated 2/22/2000 8:47:12 AM, David wrote:

<<Jim,
I am not sure I understand, perhaps I am reading these postings wrong.  I
have always worked the relationships between key dip, aftertouch and hammer
travel as a compromise to get the best results within certain parameters.  >>

Yes, well "aftertouch " is not a setting in and of itself.... it is a result
of key dip and hammer travel/letoff (HTLO) and as such can not be 'set' in
the normal sense. Aftertouch may be adjusted by adjusting HTLO or keydip. You
are correct in that this must be done within "certain parameters"

<<"I also measure the hammer travel from the back of the moulding and will
get
different readings from a new hammer than one that has been filed.  The
shorter the hammer the longer the distance it will have to travel from the
same starting point to the string.">>

 This was part of my point that I probably did not explain well :-(
The important measurement is from the striking surface of the hammer to the
string......as this varies throughout the scale this is where the most useful
info comes from......do you also set let off from the back of the moulding?
Probably not and assuming that you don't..why not? if that measurement is
good for the blow distance why not for the letoff? After all both
measurements have to do with the striking surface of the hammer, nes pa?

 Put another way...measuring a new set of unhung hammers I get 77mm(3.035
inches) for No. 28 and 71mm (2.785 inches)for No. 88...this amounts to 1/4
inch difference +/-. How do you account for this difference in setting blow
distance from the back of the moulding?

 If back of the moulding works for you then by all means go for it, I'll have
no quarrel with ya. :-)
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)