Steinway clicks, clacks & groans

Ron Torrella rontorrella@worldspy.net
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:20:43 -0500

Newton Hunt wrote:

> I would take an appropriate tool and but a small bend in the spring
> about the center to force the spring against onside of the post, or
> the other.  It will take VERY little bending and should take about
> fifteen minutes for the entire set even after trying samples at
> section ends.  You want the spring just to touch the post, securely
> enough to remove noise but not so hard as to impede spring
> functioning.

I tried doing this with a pair of needle-nosed pliers (right-angle and
straight). Didn't work very well. Not much room to work with (there's
not a whole lot of play between the coil and the tumbler). Also noticed
that it seemed to take an inordinate amount of strength to get a good
bite on the wire and, when the pliers slipped off, they crunched the
teflon tumbler - not pretty. I even tried grabbing the coil and giving
it a twist to take up the slack. No dice.

You have to take the darned wippen out in order to do anything to that
tumbler thingie. While you've got the wippen out, might as well fix it
so you don't have to pull it apart again!

I was tempted to return the tumblers to NY and see if they'd give me
credit for them.
--
Ron Torrella, RPT
Ypsilanti, MI