blow discrepancy:technique?

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:25:01 EST

In a message dated 02/21/2000 11:24:40 PM Central Standard Time,
JIMRPT@AOL.COM writes:

> Dave "aftertouch" is a product of key dip and hammer/wippen travel and
>  "correct" aftertouch can only be reliably determined 'after' hammer travel
>  distance has been decided.
>   Also measuring from the back of the moulding will 'not' give you a
>  consistent blow distance as the distance measured this way will remain
> static
>  even as the hammers are grooved and filed and grooved and filed and
>  grooved...well you get the idea. (if I understand what you said :)
Jim,
I am not sure I understand, perhaps I am reading these postings wrong.  I
have always worked the relationships between key dip, aftertouch and hammer
travel as a compromise to get the best results within certain parameters.
That means I may fudge a little on hammer travel to to get the right touch.
I also measure the hammer travel from the back of the moulding and will get
different readings from a new hammer than one that has been filed.  The
shorter the hammer the longer the distance it will have to travel from the
same starting point to the string.
David Koelzer
DFW TX