Hairline Crack

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 15:39:49 EST

When filling cracks with epoxy one should use a filler like West Systems
fairing filler or filleting blend found in Pianotek's catalogue.  It is wood
toned and works easily.  Mix it until it has the consistency of honey.  I use
a syringe to fill the gap.  This also works well as a filler for relocating
capstans.  It is the same color as the spruce key.  The drill wont travel
with this product.  It drills great!

<< The second method is epoxy. I don't do them this way, but I don't see a
 problem with it. I think the procedure is to scrape the crack as if you
 were installing a spruce shim, but you don't need to be as careful to make
 the width and depth as uniform. Tape underneath to keep the epoxy in the
 crack, mix up the epoxy and trowel it in. Some say they mix wood dust into
 the epoxy, some don't mention it. Either way, you trim it flush when it's
 hard, just like a spruce shim. >>

Ed Tomlinson
Cascade Piano
Piano Sales/Piano Technician