d.c. clips

DCyr141833@AOL.COM DCyr141833@AOL.COM
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 16:17:20 EST

I just had the same thing happen to 2 upright units I installed in the past 2
weeks, and another tech I know had the same thing happen the week before.  I
get my units from Brooks, and called to let them know what happened.  They
called Dampp Chaser to let them know, and today I received a letter from Bob
Mair at Dampp Chaser explaining to me what he thinks the problem might be.
In brief, the letter says......"The Humidistat standoff that you recently had
a problem with is made of Nylon 6-6.  This is a fairly expensive engineering
plastic, however as we learned very recently it's impact strength is reduced
if it is subjected to periods of LOW HUMIDITY.  Its steady state strength is
not effected."  He goes on to talk about how they "test a significant amount
of each incoming shipment they receive, but they haven't seen any breakage
during these inspections.  During the past 2 weeks they checked their entire
stock of standoffs, not once, but twice.  The results were the same as the
initial "as received" inspection, i.e. no breakage."  He goes on to say    "
A very small percentage of the standoffs are breaking, but any is too many,
so beginning today (Feb 15, 2000) we are packaging the standoffs in a plastic
bag by themselves with several drops of water.  The bags are sealed and are
water tight.  In the near term, you are likely to see moisture in the bag.
In the long term, we are looking at Nylon 6 as being a better product for
this application.  We have not had this same problem to the extent that we
could identifyy it prior to this winter, and we have been using Nylon 6-6
right along for the last 7-8 years.  It would appear that this winter is more
dry than past winters."

I think it would be good to let Bob know that you experienced the same
problem.  Dampp Chaser - 1-800-438-1524, or email piano@dampp-chaser.com

Debbie Cyr
Framingham, MA