Hairline Crack

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:24:23 -0500

At 06:31 PM 02/18/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I'm in the middle of this, my first restringing job, and the soundboard
>has a
>very thin crack. Actually, it's more like a very slight separation
>between two of the
>panels. They're not pulling away from the ribs at all. Is there a simple
>way to
>handle this?
>
>Thanks, guys.
>
>Martin

Acknowledge that it is there to the potential customer.

What difference does it make if the crack has been filled-in with a shim, it's
only a
cosmetic repair. If it is not buzzing it is fine. A shim is not an insurance
that the
board will not separate from the ribs down the line. I'm leaning towards epoxy
repairs now, I've seen too many cracks running alongside shims from previous
repairs.

If I am asked for a guarantee on a  sounding board, I simply guarantee that it
will crack
given the right circumstances. Given that it is cracked already, it's probably
done its worst,
look on the bright side. Developing a sense of PR and a little schmoozing
backed by plain
facts never hurts. Rappore and integrity sell pianos. It's when you sell them
sight unseen
is when you have made the honor hall of fame.

Best of Luck,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net