re inventing the wheel again

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:49:12 +0100

I remember this discussion about tuning with "ears and tuning with eyes". As
a matter of fact this has been discussed many times during the last years on
this list.
I personally have learned from those discussions the following:
There are quite a number of "pianotech cultures" and different developments
in this world and one of the  mistakes one "could" make is to assume that it
is the same piece of cake everywhere else.
That is definitely not the case. In the US of A for instance there has been,
I think, the strongest impulse and development of tuning with electronic
aid. Most probably, as a result, you will find there the most tuners with
the various tuning machines.
England is quite different... more old fashioned and conservative, and I
suppose that most tuners in the UK tune aurally, or, as one would like :
with the help of their ears.
On the European Continent it is about the same, but it may differ from
Country to Country.
I live in Holland and I have tuned with my earlobes for ages, until >>>>
tadaaaaa! I met this American tuner who showed me his latest SAT.
When I left the store where he worked (years ago already) I said to my wife
: isn 't it too bad.... here we have this talented and developed technician,
and yet, he tunes with a machine!
But... as I came home from that trip, I had to do work for a piano importer
and 16 instruments had to be ready in two days and they had to be in perfect
order.
At the same time maybe 6 other tuners were present to do the same kind of
job, but for other factories. You can imagine that tuning was hell, aurally
speaking.
So, after one hellish day, I went up to one of the managers who had given me
the job and I asked him : don't you guys have that tuning (the PT-100)
machine available somewhere? to which he answered " yeah, we had been
wondering why you never wanted to tune with that thing"?

OK..
so I tried it the next day, and all the other tuners came over to look at
"the thing" and made sniding remarks about machines etc.
Now, some years later, they all walk around with those things and in our own
Piano Association (the VvPN) we have given seminars about the pro's and
contra's of machines.

My personal opinion?
I think machines are a great help! as long as you still know thoroughly how
to do it with "da lobes". and in some cases, it is a fantastic experience
when the battery level is low and you have to, again, do it all alone by
your pinky ears.
Furthermore, I think "I" might get the best result by using the long mutes
all over the instrument (the grand), tune electronically first, then make
corrections by ear, then tune all the unisons and concentrate (i.e. use most
of my time) on making the nicest tone possible.

And if you don't agree...
Well, that's fine too, just keep on trucking!

Friendly greetings,

Antares

PS.
I still think that tuners should first learn tuning aurally and practice in
this way for a veeeeery long time.

and about Australia I know very little, but I would very much like to go
there and meet the techs (Robin?)