Why Wapin is Not Public Domian

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 18:50:29 +0100

michael wathen wrote:

> About the $325 per piano installation of Wapin --- About the
> confidentiality agreements
>
> Really, we have no choice. We are resellers of an intellectual
> property.  We have a contractual obligation to the University of
> Cincinnati.  It makes no difference that I am the inventor. It's UC's
> property. Even I do not have the legal right to install Wapin without
> paying nor do I have the legal right to share know-how with anyone
> outside the University unless they sign an agreement. This applies even
> after the patent issues. We are merely a keep alive option for the
> technology under those specific terms.

Michael... this is not at issue, never has been. Its an off the wall tangent
interpretation of the consequences of offering more technical insight to
your product to the technical community. Something I think you should do for
your own interests. But you of course must do as you self see fit in this
regard.

As for the intellectual property issue...as long as this tangent seems so
insistant. You have a patent and nothing can change that. Anyone stealing
your idea is subject to judgment regardless where they get information on
your "property". And here lies the crux of the issue. Assuming Wapin is
"worth" stealing... Anyone who is so motivated can aquire enough info to do
so by reading the Patent. The kind of folks who are willing to do something
like that are not going to be hindered by any policy of yours or the UC's.
The only thing you (or the UC) accomplishes by being so secretive is exactly
the kind of skeptism / suspicion and around the bush talk that this thread
has seen. I cant see that that is in the interests of anyone personnally.

> As far a patents and their value.  Imagine a world without intellectual
> property.  Let's just say that Wapin is so great and that UC is giving
> it to everyone.  What do you think would happen to the American piano
> industry? Who would be the most likely to take up a new technology? What
> country would likely start producing and markteting pianos with this new
> technology?

I would think that the American Piano industry would be in exactly the same
place as it is today. Left to compete on the basis of quality workmanship,
not who has the best gimmick (not meaning to demean Wapin here.. just
sharpening the point a bit... grin). Really.. in the end it is not the
technology  knowhow that determines a great product.. tho that certainly is
an important factor.. it is the quality put into the production of the
product that counts. So really... nothing will have changed. What does it
matter what country / countries start useing new ideas... and what on earth
makes you think anything you or the UC can do will stop them if they really
want to... yes.. even despite the patent. There are plenty of ways to sneak
around the patents of "products" such as yours.. All this debate about this
side issue is moot. Your only protection lies in the patent laws. The
secrecy thing just keeps potential allies away..

> Finally, I am not really concerned that a lot of techs are incredulous
> about our claims. I have been in the Guild long enough to witness the
> resistance of technological change. I can remember hugh battles when a
> few techs were enticed into using Sanderson's Sight-O-Tuner.

Understood... tho had I been you I would have left this out... grin..

> If you are uncomfortable with the idea of Wapin then let it be.  It's
> not for you. If you want to take a wait and see approach that's okay
> too!

I am neither uncomfortable or comfortable with the idea of Wapin. I lack
enough data on the subject to make a reasonable conclusion in that regard.
My whole point exactly. Tho the claims it makes are intriguing enough that
despite the lack of forthcomming info on the part of Wapin.. I fully intend
to download the patent material to see what this thing really is. If I like
what I see then I will no doubt contact you and "purchase" an installation.
You see Micheal.. the greatest majority of us fellow techs... regardless of
our personal quirks are hardworking, dedicated and above all honest
comrades. You have everything to gain by winning us over... And nothing to
loose by not trying.

Continued Good Luck on your enterprise

--
Richard Brekne