re inventing the wheel again

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:01:20 +0000

 hello,
      I agree with Robin.   The nicest unison is not the same as the one where
all three strings individually tested show the spinner stopped and blushing.
Improvements could be realized if Machines kept a record of the frequency of
each string in a tuning file.  They could also record and store the transient
nature of the pitch so the tuner always reproduces at the same point in the
decay cycle.  A further problem is that pitch varies according to how the note
is struck. The most prominent harmonics vary from note to note which dictates
which partial(s) should be chosen to match.   Computers could be programmed to
make those compromises by measuring and studying each partials' intensity.
Futher compromises must be made since the strongest partial may not be the best
choice as there might be a whole group of others which can match together to
override the strongest.  It may also be best if NO partials in the partial
ladder are an exact match but all dwelling in some nebulous zone of not quite
beating.  I suspect the transient quality of piano pitch will vary at each
partial as well.  All of this would take an awesome amount of computer power to
overcome. The human brain is still the best at this type of intuitive
compromise or blending the unison. There is more to tuning a unison than what
meets the eye or visual display.
-Mike Jorgensen