Strip Muting/unisons

Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:12:01 -0600

Kristinn,
At 19:03 02/17/2000 +0000, you wrote:
>O.K.

>the purpose of this "every other unison stripping" seems to elude me.  Why
>would one do that as opposed to just using one strip and do all the unisons
>with that.

Alternate stripping doesn't help with tuning the center strings at all.
When it helps is when you are tuning unisons.

Due to the configuration of most pin arrangements, when you pull out one of
those strips you find that the pins corresponding to the exposed strings
are all in one horizontal (perpendicular to string) line.

This means that if you tune up in a whole tone scale (every other note) you
will be tuning all the top pins and returning back down you will be tuning
all the bottom.  Pulling the second strip, you will be tuning what is left
or the second row from the top and the second from the bottom.

The speed comes from not having to pull the strip out at every unison (only
4 strip pulls/piano vs 60+), and you just move your hammer to the next in
line, not top to bottom to top to bottom, etc.

I suspect also that this way of tuning only 1/6 of the pins at one pass
also results in a more stable tuning, but that is only speculation on my
part at this time.

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
             Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know',
pretend you don't know me.