Wapin and patents

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:07:59 -0600

Carl wrote....
>Unless its been changed, no!, patents are for 17 years and can not
be renewed

Regarding questions about patents. ..
There's got to be a patent holder on this list. If he/she is not a
good source there's gotta be a FAQ at the US Patent office site.
I thought patents lasted for 12 years.  That ideas already 3 years
old (published or in the public) could not be patented.  That the
"patent pending" process allowed some sort of "challange" to the
rights about to be given. That some sort of research into past
patents was required so that someone wasn't trying to re-patent an
old patent, either by accident or design.  That some companies had
a process so secret they kept it that way by not patenting it.
That is why you cannot find the formula of Coca-Cola in the patent
office. And why they could not sue Pepsi or Royal Crown for
infringement.
That patents had to be for objects that could be manufactured and
sold.

The Wapin is a design or configuration.  Is it an invention or a
discovery? Doesn't matter if the patent has been granted.  If they
get the patent so be it.  If I or you use it, for sure something
should go to the inventor. Even if it wasn't patented !!.  I think
technicians owe it to each other to honor improvements,
discoveries, inventions, techniques, etc.  If we are making money
from someone's  idea, then sharing some of that money is a very
good way to show appreciation and keep the spirit of invention and
discovery alive and well.

If one uses the Wapin configuration, a pattern results making it
clear that Wapin technology was used, so expect to  honor the
"intellectual rights"   according to  the terms they are asking.
You can agree to that, or simply "rip it off".  It is your
decision.  It becomes part of your reputation among piano
technicians at least, and what ever the rest of the Music Industry.
  I hope that is the highest court among us for the next 12 years
or however long the patent lasts.
	If the terms are not to your liking, try negotiating.   The  the
use of this "system" offers improvement so dramatic, that in most
cases it is well worth the $325.  Also I like the  arrangement
whereby you can install it in a piano you own and not pay until the
piano is sold.  When you sign the non disclosure agreement and
receive the details you will see why this is so.  It actually is a
kind of "share ware" concept where you get "nagged" for $325 for
using it, but it is due only after you get paid for your services
that should have included their "use" fee  from the beginning,  At
least that is my understanding.   If you are like me and don't like
to try something new on a clients piano until you have tried it on
you own, then the Wapin offer of terms should be acceptible,
appealing even. .
	If  Wapin becomes a "house hold name" like "accu-just", or
"accelerated action" then for the first 12 years you will have to
pay for the rights to install it.  After that I imagine there will
be a "royalty" for using the name (as a trademark) as part of your
rebuild or advertisement of "qualified Wapin technician" or
"rebuilt with the Wapin technology"  I suppose there will be some
kind of decal or sticker or brass plaque that will identify an
"official Wapin" installation from the mere moochers. This I would
expect to be a little less than $325.  ; )       ---ric