Wapin Bridge

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:17:18 -0500

I come from the environmental cleanup industry where new technology abounds.
Often however, a new technology is offered by a company that has patented
it, and unless you hire them to do the work, you do not use the technology.
This Wapin appears similar, although here it appears you pay a fee, but you
still do the work.

One of the things I have found so wonderful about the piano industry and PTG
meetings and conferences is that generally there is abundant willingness to
share information. In KC last year I specifically made a point to tell David
Hughes & wife how refreshing it was for people with their knowledge &
experience to share with others very technical aspects about how they build
boards, bridges, etc. (especially having come from an industry that does not
tend to share).

I do not know what went into developing the Wapin idea. I realize that when
one invents something truely unique and beneficial at great expence, there
should be some way to make a reasonable profit from it (I guess turning out
the best sounding instruments in southern Ohio does not suffice?). But
this.... I've got a secret and I'm not going to tell unless you sign here
and pay me.... seems at best to be perhaps a proper business agreement, but
oh, so cold, and at worst...... well I'm sure many will be able to supply
their own favorite term.

Maybe it is the way any industry is. Maybe this is just a dark spot in my
honeymoon with piano technology. I had been so happy to get away from the
crap spewing forth from the environmental industry (so many claims, and so
little explanation/proof). Any thoughts? (Flame suit tightly buttoned &
zipped!)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida