Steinway square

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:51:07 -0400

Hi,
I tuned a square grand from the back, once. Rather than plucking the =
strings, I had the customer repeatedly hit all the notes, as required.
He hasn't called me back to tune it, I wonder why. :-)
Regards,
John M. Ross
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jon Page=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 14, 2000 9:51 AM
  Subject: Re: Steinway square

  A few of these, I would not have attempted to remove the lid by =
myself;
  let alone struggle to get it moved away from the wall.

  But it sounds like a good way to tune from the back.

  A method I use for locating the correct pins quickly in the =
temperament:
  Front rail punchings with the hole punched larger and the letters of =
the
  naturals written thereon. After muting, (only two strings/note) I =
place
  the punchings on the appropriate pins. The sharps are easily =
distinguished
  at this point. This indexing facilitates the tuning process.
  Once the temperament is set, it's just tuned chromatically.

  The Historical Society down the street has a Woodward & Brown. It's =
tuned
  once per year for their Valentine Tea (hey- they skipped this year!  =
:-(
  I'll call when they open, maybe they forgot. maybe they stopped the =
Tea :-)
  The pins have just enough grip to maintain a fair tuning 1/2 tone =
flat,
  Someone tried to sell them a big "restoration" (would have been =
"devastation")
  saying that when it was done it would be worth $100,00.00. Fortunately =
I was
  able to get it playing and the broken strings replaced for a minimal =
charge (free).
  However, I am now a Life Member of the Society. See, there are perks.
  So once per year I maintain the tuning to maintain my membership.

  Squares can be a good education and are definitely a source of =
frustration.
  Know when to say when.

  Regards,

  Jon Page

  At 08:20 PM 02/13/2000 -0500, you wrote:
  >Hi Jon,
  >
  >I have to confess, I have not tuned one of these beasts.  But a =
friend of
  >mine told me how he tunes them, and perhaps he's on to something.
  >
  >He tells me that when he can, he will remove the lid and the damper
  >assembly, and tune from behind by plucking the strings instead of =
trying to
  >tune like we normally do by playing the key.
  >
  >It might not work so well if one can't get behind the beast, but if =
one
  >can...
  >
  >I too have heard of the wonderful work tables these things can be =
converted
  >to.  Very solid.
  >
  >FWIW.
  >
  >Brian Trout
  >Quarryville, PA
  >btrout@desupernet.net
  >
  >> Lying prostrate across the strings to tune, praying that a string =
does not
  >> break
  >> or an action part; ending up with a fatigued back . . .
  >>
  >> There is a reason these instrument fell into disfavor.
  >>
  >> The last two I encountered have been turned into work tables.
  >> And good ones at that.
  >=20

  Jon Page,   piano technician
  Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.