METH/WATER for hard hammers

Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:37:17 -0500

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000 15:28:24 -0800 Susan Kline <sckline@home.com> writes:
> Excuse my ignorance, Mark, but could you define "1/2 - 1 lb. cuts?"
> Is this a dilution amount?
>
> I'll try to give a progress report on how the ethanol works for
> shellac, after I've experimented a little.
>
> Susan

Hi Susan -

Yes, I would be interested to hear how the ethanol works.

Shellac is always referred to in terms of a "cut", meaning how much
shellac is in 1 gallon of alcohol.  For example, a 1 lb. cut is one pound
of flakes in one gallon of alcohol.  Typically shellac that is premixed
in paint stores for brushing is a 3 lb. cut, which of course can be cut
further by the user.  If you only want to mix up a quart, just do the
math.  No need to be super fussy about precision.

When you do get around to trying out the flakes, you need to let them sit
overnight to dissolve in the alcohol - in a non-metallic container.  An
occasional stir helps.  If you do not have a good source for fresh
shellac, I have a couple really good ones, at wholesale prices (app. $10
lb), so let me know if I can be of assistance.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com