Steinway square

carl meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 14:42:53 -0800

Michael!  The worksmanship of that era was wonderful!  Now that I've
told you that, you won't have to buy one and rebuild it.  Chuckle!
Chuckle!
You have the same mental problem I do.  It's called terminal curiosity.
You know what that does to cats.

Seriously, I've installed a pianocorder in a steinway square grand for a
customer with good results.  What a job!  I was paid well and the job
was fun to say the least.

There used to be an antique dealer I was assoc with that would pay 1000
dollars for Steinway squares in any condition.  He would buy a used ford
pickup truck, load 2 sq grands on it, drive it onto a slow boat to
England, drive the truck off the boat and sell the truck in Germany,
then take the sq grands to Holland where someone liked them for
rebuilding.  I assume there was a market somewhere.

Here in Calif. I've had people give them to me, but I won't take any
more.
The market is between slim and none.  I'm the only one in my area that
is dumb enough to even work on one and I usually open a can of worms and
my fishing license has just expired so I may not renew it.

Buttttttt! have fun.  I don't know what the insides of a copy machine
looks like but my neigbor was throwing one away so guess where it is.
It's a large one sitting in my driveway waiting for me to tear it apart
and see if there are any parts in there to make a tool for piano work.
Oh Well.

Regards

Carl Meyer Santa Clara, Ca.    (Everyone should show his location)