A Glut of Old Uprights

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 15:02:50 -0600

----------
> From: Tom Cole <tcole@cruzio.com>
>
> I may have once written to this list about a piano which I had
first
> tuned to 100 cents flat and was, . But the engineer-owner with
perfect pitch soon found that
> the instrument was useless to him and his solution was to
transpose the
> keyboard up one half step.
>
> - but thought that list members might be
> interested in discussing the concept. I know a great many of
these old
> untunables should be "pitched" (and a few deserve to be rebuilt)
but, as
> long as we have parents who buy these thrift-store "bargains" for
their
> children to learn on, I think there are situations where this
idea could
> have merit. Comments, please.
>
> Tom
> --
> Thomas A. Cole, RPT

There is a reason people buy $250 uprights instead of $1200 or
$2200 instruments. How much does it cost to "rewire" an old
specimen so the keys move the next hammer?  I must admit it is an
interesting idea, but I can't envision how it is done.  Got a
video?
	 Tune these "bargains" 100 flat if they can't be raised.  That way
at least  they can be played with the radio or CD.   After all the
ability to transpose is a good thing for pianists to know.  Think
of half tone flat pianos as this learning opportunity.
	I just tuned a Williams and Sons (Chicago) flat of pitch.  I am
sure I would have broken a few bass strings had I brought it up.
But as it stands it is one of the nicer sounding uprights I have
heard.  Beautiful bass inspite of split and shifted bridge caps.
If you heard this bass and I said "I worked on the bridge" you
would say, "Wow, what did you do?"  I would show you where I CA'd
the pins and splits to keep it from shifting further.  Hmmm
speaking of video's, this would make a great one...if there were
interest.  I am sure the owner would be delighted.  He has email
and has been searching the web for info on Williams and Sons.  If
anyone has info I would be glad to forward it.  I know, I should
have the Jack Greenfield book, "History of Midwestern Piano
Manufacturing" and it is on my next  order list. (Schaff)
	 If and when the owners want to restring, that is the time to
consider bring this one to pitch.  ---ric