termination and inharmonicity ?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:57:15 +0100

Joe & Penny Goss wrote:

> Radius Ric,
> Does this hold true for bass strings as well? Or how  does one change the
> inharmonicity of a bass string?
> On the level

grin... the profile of the termination point does have an effect on any and
all strings (relating to inharmonicity.. and for that matter several other
characteristics.)  Course if it was just as simple as dealing with these
things then all would be easy.. but as in most things in dealing with pianos
if you choose one solution.. then you sacrifice something else.

I dont think anyone has ever tried employing termination point profiles as
part of an overall scale design. Sounds a bit daunting to begin with. In any
case I doubt there is any hard data showing what could or cant be
accomplished this way.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.