<< Subject: Re: birdcages >>

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:52:10 +1300

Stan,

New Zealand and Australia were colonies of "England " way back then, so what
we see most of around here are pianos from those parts.
After reading all of the "Birdcage" thread along with Jim Bryant's
"Conspiracy" thread it got me thinking that, at that time the English were
well into underdamped pianos, so there may well have been a conspiracy of
sorts to ship the less preferred birdcage models a long way away (as you
suggest) to satisfy both the need for pianos in the colonies as well as the
local English tech's preference for working on the newer underdamped pianos.

Sounds like "Grey market"  used Japanese piano syndrome but a 100 years
back.
Maybe in a 100 years time the tech's will be writing email threads to one
another about the awful second hand pianos that were shipped out of Asia
around the turn of the century (2000) to all sorts of far away destinations.

But wait!
We're doing that already....

Cheers,

Graeme Harvey