Lots of broken strings

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:56:33 EST

In a message dated 2/13/00 3:16:19 AM !!!First Boot!!!, pryan2@the-beach.net
writes:

<< I was sent to tune a nice U1 Yamaha piano in a Gospel-type church which had
 six broken bass strings.  All had broken at the v-bar and showed no rust.
 The pianist was very upset about it (actually the price of replacement), as
 broken strings  have become a regular occurrence.  I chided her that she
 must be playing with a heavy left hand, but when I tuned the piano, I found
 the wound section to be 20 to 31 cents sharp.  My question is, could
 someone have tuned this piano that sharp, or did the missing strings shift
 the balance of pressure on the bridge or something to that extent (a la a
 violin)? Should I look elsewhere?  The middle and treble sections of the
 piano were  tuned to accurate pitch.  Secondly, is 20 to 31 cents sharp
 enough to break a good wound string?  I always thought they were made to
 withstand a lot more stretching than that.

 Phil Ryan
 Miami Beach, FL >>

The loss of the strings could have sent the bass section sharp by that much.
And the increase in tension, along with the heavy hand, contributed to more
broken strings. If this was the Midwest, the treble would be flat, and the
bass right on. Since the treble is right on, and the bass was sharp, it would
indicate the whole piano might have been tuned 10 - 15 cents sharp at one
point, and then dropped to its current level, except for the bass.

Disconnect the right pedal, decrease hammer blow, adjust lost motion half the
amount. If needed, add a thick cardboard punching under each key to reduce
key dip. All four of those things will reduce string breakage, but only if
the player reduces the pounding.

Willem Blees