pianotech-digest V2000 #155

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 20:10:31 EST

In a message dated 02/12/2000 6:12:04 PM Central Standard Time, Richard
Brekne writes:

<< Now compare that to the fact that the higher partials of lower notes tend
to be
 sharp... and increasingly so as one goes up the partial ladder, then their
 coincidents from higher fundementals. This is the reason for the need to
stretch
 the octaves.. >>

Gentlemen,

Pardon me for taking up bandwidth again, but this subject has always posed
questions for me.  I was acquainted some years ago with a guy who was a grad
assistant during the Fletcher-Munson studies (at the U. of Chicago?  I
think?), which involved lots of things, involving such ideas as those
concerning reasons for the specific timbre of different instruments, etc.
One of the aspects of the study resulted in the "loudness contour" switch
that we all have on our stereo sets--which boosts bass and treble response to
compensate for low-volume listening, where the human ear does not hear in
linear fashion.  (Of course, we turn it on and leave it on--we LIKE bass--but
that's a whole other story!)  Now, my question--IF octaves, both upward and
downward, are tuned as best as possible, to a 2:1 octave, with no stretch
intended, would the upper octaves SOUND flat, and the lower octaves SOUND
sharp?  Theoretically, I understand the principle(s) of inharmonicity, at
least to an extent, but IF the human ear is not linear in its response, might
that not also be something we compensate for by the degree of stretch?  And
might that also account for some of the variations in the amount of stretch
preferred?  Just wondering.

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL