birdcages

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:51:33 +0100

I have always been under the understanding that these things were not meant to
damp as well as the underdamper system does. That in fact the extra .... resound
was a thought to be a desirable thing and contributed to sustain and other tonal
attributes much in the way duplex is supposed to.

That being said we have to remember that almost none of us has ever seen a
birdcage in top notch working order... with brand new parts prepared and
regulated by an expert who was willing to use the time neccessary to do such a
job.

I have seen such a piano and it was quite nice to play on, and damped very well
indeed, so again its damping was definatly not the dry sort.

Also these things damp at a different node area on the string which also
contributes to the basic "sound" of the piano.

Not being one to encourage much time and effort on this type of piano
otherwise... I just couldnt help throwing in a small defense of these hated
beasts. Granted most of them had some pretty bad qualities in other regards....
but heck... they made thousands and thousands of these things... they must have
been somewhat useable at one time.. or what ?

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.