dry lubricants

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:18:31 -0500

Protek applied to the bearings and counter bearings (felt in tenor) helps
the string to pull smoothly.

I have pianos which were always pinging, most of them are still good
after a treatment with Protek eight years ago.

Dry lube will not get under the wire like a liquid will.

I don't use the spray version.

Regards,

Jon Page

At 12:36 PM 02/11/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Does anyone have a recommendation as to what kind of "dry" type lubricant to
use on older, rusty or oxidized strings? I was told by a local tech, to use
"Mclube", but after a little research, i found the ad for Mclube clearly
states: 'do not spray near tuning pins, strings or finished surfaces'. Let me
also emphasize  that I'm  talking about using a dry type lubricant ONLY at the
agraffes and/or  the pressure bar area, to help make sure the string pulls up
as smoothly as possible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

>Terry Peterson
>LA, CA

>Get free Internet service and email at http://www.worldspy.com

Jon Page,   piano technician