METH/WATER for hard hammers

Johannes28@AOL.COM Johannes28@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:42:11 EST

Dear List,

I just this morning used the methyl/water solution for softening hammers and
it works great though I need to adjust my ratios.  Most people say use 50%
methly alchohol to 50% water but I think less water makes a more subtle
change.  The more water the more the tone gets wiped out.  Right?

The solution is a lot easier on the hammers - those needles can really do a
butcher job on worn hammers.  This solution is much nicer to them and the
hammers will last longer for it.  I'm waiting to see if using the solution
makes the voicing last longer than using needles.  (These are heavy use worn
pianos and come up fast!!)

Some needling may be needed to tweak the voicing but you can do most of it
with meth/water and save the hammers.

Anyone else have ideas on this?

Johannes Spannung