Floor Tunings

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:47:11 +0100

Just wanted to pipe in here and congratulate you on the new position. Use it well !!
I basically aggree with the idea of rushing through the first pass. Just dont get
carried away. Ron N says if you use more then an hour then you are spending too much
time. Turn that around and you could say that if you use a half hour then you aint
using enough.

Somewhere in one of these past journals I have laying around, some bright writer
wrote something to the effect of.. "tune the piano first... then tune it".  Perhaps a
bit misleading, as the jist of his point was exactly this about using too much time
on detail on the first pass. Whip it into shape... You'd be suprised how good you can
get at "roughing in" a piano. I use typically about 40 minutes to rough in.. and this
is a lot of time by some fellows standards. But when I am done I start by double
checking my temperament, then runing thirds and tenths downwards and upwards to make
sure of eveness,, stopping wherever I hear something...er... strange. The whole
process rarely takes much more then an hour for my standard tuning.

On concert / critical jobs I take a bit more care on my second pass and always make
an entire third pass just to see what I can improve upon. And I finish with a "lets
make sure of those unisions" pass.

Good luck and keep on keeping on !

--
Richard Brekne