hale hammer

Larry J. Messerly prescottpiano@juno.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 06:34:41 -0700

I don't like the feel of the long tips I have tried.  The only time I use
mine is on a vertical piano with an overhanging lid or plate that
interferes with my lever handle.  On grands I generally use a 20 degree
tip that you can get from Jim Coleman if you are going to the Califonia
convention,.  On Steinways for some reason, I've always used a short tip
and 10 degree head.  I do endorse the idea of having other tips on a
second shaft.  I don't do it myself, but I did get a second shaft for my
Hale hammer (before they closed) right after two technicians I know had
their shafts break in the same week!!  (Now I have a total of 5 levers,
but then only one Hale and a junky one that my dad used in the 50's for
touching up unisons.

Larry Messerly, RPT
a real Bald-one