hale hammer

Graeme Harvey gharvey@netsource.co.nz
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 23:46:55 +1300

Terry,
I use a tip wrench available, I'm sure, from most of the piano tool supply
houses.
However the tip is still really tight, so I put the wrench into the tip,
place the head against a work bench, holding the hammer handle in one hand
and with the wrench slightly angled up off the bench surface tap the wrench
with a smallish hammer. Naturally you must tap in the correct direction to
undo it but it always works for me.

To paraphrase; impact against the wrench.

Cheers
Graeme Harvey
New Plymouth NZ

Terry wrote....

> I noticed earlier today, when tuning the Yamaha Grand, that the tip (#2)
on my Hale hammer was really too short for tuning the Grands, especially up
in the high treble area. In addition to getting a longer tip,(which will
give me more clearance) I want to buy another head (5 degree), and put them
together for quick changes. If A hale tip and head are not available, can
anyone suggest what will fit the shaft of my Hale hammer? The head and tip I
currently have (#2, and head is 10 degree) work great on verticles, but I
think the 5 degree head and longer tip would work better on Grands. I guess
I'll have to make a trip up to Pacific Piano for the stuff...anyone know the
address? Thanks.

> Btw, I bought the hammer from my mentor, who says the head has not been
off the shaft for ten years..that would explain why it WON'T come off! I
soaked the area with WD40, but it still wont budge..I'll have to try putting
it in a vice. If it's rusted on, maybe i can just buy a new shaft in
addition to the new head & longer tip, and then just have that ready to
switch. Any ideas?