Restringing

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:42:45 -0800

In a message dated 2/10/2000 11:33:36 AM, Martin wrote:

<<If any of you would care to comment on your first restringings and
what I should watch out for, I would greatly appreciate it.>>

To underscore what Jim said, if the piano has been previously restrung,
you need to be especially mindful of the hitchpins.

Case in point: I tuned a piano on Tuesday which I restrung (blank) years
ago. Until now, I hadn't wondered why the waste lengths of the tenor
section didn't continue in the same direction as the speaking lengths,
it being a Decker & Sons grand. It suddenly dawned on me that I had
faithfully duplicated the pattern of loop - tie - loop - tie... exactly
as I had found it, not thinking that the previous technician might have
gotten the pattern _backwards_ (as if it were absolutely a fluke that
he/she drove the tuning pins into an unsupported pinblock, ultimately
rendering it untunable, but _everything else_ about the job was
perfect)! :-@

It's not enough of a flaw to RE-re-restring the beast (it'll sound just
as bad strung correctly) but I'm happy to say the woman is soon passing
this ill-tampered-with klavier onto her heirs.

One of the main reasons that I want to do the best job possible is
because I'm the main person who is going to be offended by a bad job,
every...time...I...tune...it.

What you do in haste you will rue in leisure. (S. Graham)

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA