How do you get paid for floor tunings?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:21:47 EST

baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

<< As a dealer, I look for several things in a tech.
 1. A good quality tuning.
 2. Attention to detail, are the hammers spaced, no squeaks in the pedals,
 no clicks in the action. regulation, etc. If you are only being paid to
 tune, bring the deficiencies to the owners attention.  If he is a good
 dealer, he will want them rectified.
 3. Professional appearance.
 4. A good listener with good people skills.

 Working for a good dealership, can give you some great experience, and fast
 track you to a solid client base. This client list will own better than
 average piano's since they are mostly new. It is better than working for
 years on old junker's.

 Hope this helps.
 Roger

Roger:

As a dealer, do you pay your floor tuners by the job, or by the hour?

I have two people working for me now. One knows how to tune, the other is
learning. Both of them are paid by the hour. Both of them, however, do more
than just floor tunings. They prep all the used and new pianos, they answer
the phone as needed, they wait on customers, vacuum the floors, dust the
pianos, and take out the trash.

If they just tuned, I could see paying them by the job. But as you indicated,
and as Terry and all the other current and former floor tuners know, there is
more to tuning a piano than tuning a piano. How do you handle the repairs,
regulations etc?

How have some of you guys gotten paid who used to, or are still, doing floor
tunings?