screw in damper wires

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:18:40 -0600

Dear list,

I am replacing damper felt on an 1883 Chickering grand.  I am not
rebuilding/modifying the old system.  This piano has the screw in damper
wires where the wire actually screws into the damper underlever.  My
question is, "What is the best way to do this?"

At this point, just thinking it through, I plan to screw in sample dampers,
adjust for 1/8" follow and put damper felt on after it is screwed into
position.  Checking with the action and pedals that everything is working
well.  After all of the sample heads (maybe six) are working well, I will
then screw in the entire set to the height (which will be 1/8" lower than
the final height after felt is on) then glue the felt on.

Am I forgetting something?  What wisdom has experienced taught you beyond
not working on these anymore? Thanks for the help in advance!

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net