floor tuning job...

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:16:34 +0000

Hi Terry,
     I agree with all the replies.  I would add some more.  Don't rest tools on the piano or bench without a cloth.  Depress damper pedal when installing strip mutes.  Have clean hands, leave no fingerprints. Don't lean against the piano while tuning or abuse the finish in any way. Check bench bolts and pedals.  Time spent should be proportionate to the quality of piano they give you.  Find out their goals, is A440 important? If not, check the pitch of all sections before choosing a pitch.  (Below 440 is not good, but above could be ok as being new the piano will be down to 440 soon anyway). Do they want to see your best work or what you can do in an hour?  Don't fight with tight pins and waste time, nudge them close and again closer on a second pass.  Budget a few minutes at the end to play a chromatic scale of all unisons to listen for
any inconsistent ones and fix accordingly.  (If they're not tuners, that's likely how they will check it).  If they are tuners, find out how they tune and use their style, (strip muting doing unisons last, or finishing unisons as they go).  Inexperienced tuners tend to agonize to achieve perfection where perfection can't be achieved so work for consistency of unisons and reasonable temperament.  You will need to formulate a time budget plan according to the piano and the goals of the interviewer. Give them what they want. If your a  good pianist, play it for them. Be positive about their products.  Ordinary salempeople and musicians very rarely know how to tell if a piano is really in tune, and any tuner understands what you're up against with an instrument --so don't worry.
-Mike