floor tuning job...

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 00:32:44 EST

pianolover@worldspy.net writes:

<< Should I simply go at my own pace, and take as much time as I need, or
should I  go through the process as quickly as possible?  >>

A really excellent response was given by Brian.  My reaction to the above
question is to try to find some middle ground.  Go in with a positive
attitude and full of energy to work having confidence in your ability.  I
would try to limit this tuning to 1 hour.  All it takes to shave time off of
your total time is concentration.  Keep your eye on what you are doing, on
the *next* tuning pin, keep the flow of your work steady.

Brian's perspective is interesting.  I remember being so frustrated in my
early years with people who would tell me "Just tune it". With the typical
Wisconsin accent, it sounded like, "Justoonit".  I heard that over and over
when I tried to suggest that other work besides tuning be done.  My guess is
that the people who want to evaluate you will only want to judge your tuning
skills.  But as Brian suggests, make sure you have an idea what *these*
people want to see.

If you approach the tuning as a two step process, the rough tuning followed
by the fine tuning, always keeping a pace through both but particularly
through the rough, you will end up with a tuning in about an hour which will
qualify in their minds.  Think in terms of a tuning taking about an hour and
the amount you need to earn for that time period.

If a piano needs other prep work, try to find out if the dealer expects you
to do it all without charging any more than for a tuning alone.  This can be
a big sticking point.
It will depend on the kind of dealer you are working for and the kind of
pianos you will be servicing.  Chances are, that as a person new to the
profession, they will want you to work on the more common types of pianos.
You may end up working a lot for a very small fee but it may still be a good
experience and remain profitable to you.

This is the kind of business where you are a free lance, independent
contractor for the kind of services you provide.  The arrangement you make
with your employers can be very informal and can change over time.  The more
that they trust your abilities, the more they will seek your services.

Good luck,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin