Sohmer Bridge Agraffes

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 23:25:02 -0600

>Why do these agraffes cause false beats and not the ones on the harp?  Is
>it the regidity of the harp, the angle of up-bearing of the string going
>to the tuning pin?

* The ones on the plate are screwed down tight and, unless something is
cracked, there isn't much chance of movement.

>It was agreed upon that it is not because the agraffe
>is loose in the wood.

* Agreed upon by what logical criteria? How many did you check, and how?

>Suggestions?
>
>Larry Messerly, RPT

* What you try for a fix depends on how you make the diagnosis and what you
find when you do. I'd suggest choosing a bridge agraffe with a nice juicy
false beat (hint: start looking in the octave 5-6 range), and pressing
against the side (front, top, etc) of it with a screwdriver while playing
the note. If the beat doesn't change, it's not caused by the agraffe being
loose in the bridge. If it does change, and I'm expecting it will, a little
CA or epoxy under the agraffe should help.

Ron N