doping pinblock/piano upside down

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 22:28:55 -0600

Brian,

Pinblock is drilled through. I *think* (read "hope") that the bushings would
absorb any CA that makes its way to the top. When applying from the top, the
bushings soaked quite a bit of CA.

Yes, I would use a moving blanket on the carpet. :-)

This is somewhat daunting, but also exciting to do something out of the
ordinary.

Best regards,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Brian Trout
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 7:57 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: doping pinblock/piano upside down

Hi John,

>From a mechanical perspective, doing the CA treatment with the piano upside
down would seem like a good plan so long as the pinblock was drilled all the
way through.

But when I read your post, two things flashed before my eyes.  First,
although the CA is supposed to soak into the wood and fill up the little
cracks and crevices, if it has the opportunity to run all the way through,
it likely will, creating a mess on the other side.  I have this picture in
my head of glue having run all over the plate web, tuning pin coils, and
perhaps farther... which brings me to the second picture, which is the piano
CAed nicely to the customers living room rug in an upside down position,
never to be moved again... without the rug anyway.

Sorry to be the pessimist, but if you're going to do it upside down, please
be careful!  :-)  It's easy to hide a small mess where the CA dripped into
the action cavity.  It may not be so easy to hide up top, which is the
bottom when it's upside down...  gravity and all that...

Good luck with your project.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net