Bedding Blues

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:28:59 EST

Richard;
 It seems to me that what you have is a warranty problem if it is a newer
Schimmel. If not, you have a great opportunity to explore newtons third law
of motion...I think that is the right one :-)

  With that much bow in the balance rail there could be at least two things
wrong.
 1. The balance rail is not sitting firmly on the keyframe laterals. Check to
make sure that each balance rail/lateral joint is in fact in contact. Said
another way it is possible that the joint has separated, i.e. screw stripped,
etc.

 2. With a warped rail the possibility of sawing a kerf and installing wedges
is a quite accepted method of straightening out warped balance rails.  If you
want the rail to bend down, saw the kerf on the bottom of the rail. Often
several spaced out shallower kerfs will work better than one deep one.

 Of course there is the possibility of the laterals or just one lateral being
 warped and causing the problem......check before cutting :-) .........No
don't ask.

 Have fun, let us know what you did.
Jim Bryant (FL)