Out of tuneness (a bit off topic)

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 19:16:22 +0000

Dear David,

I´m listening to this as I write.

It´s the B-flat Minor Sonata No. 2, Op. 35 by Chopin.

He´s currently in the latter part of the third movement (La marche funébre).
In the first two movements one can hear distinct out of tuneness in unisons
of the mid-treble and a general tendency towards flatness in that area.  It
kind of feels that someone came and fixed a little bit before the Funeral
March.  The fourth movement, sounding now, is of course too fast to hearing
any problems.

The rest of the tuning is fine and it sounds like a very high quality
grand.  Of course one wouldn´t expect anything less for a performer of that
high a caliber.
It almost sounds like someone forgot to make an appointment with the tuner.

This is a recording from about 1954-56.  Definitely not much earlier.

I have two numbers on the CD, published by RCA/Victor (it has the golden seal)
It also say´s BMG Classics on it though.  I guess that RCA is owned by BMG
and BMG in turn owned by the General Electric Company (not that it makes
any difference)

GD 60822

LC 0316

It doesn´t bother me too much now even though I can hear it of course, but
it was still quite a shock when I came back fresh from my studies.

Hope that helps,

Kristinn Leifsson
Reykjavík, Iceland