Bedding Blues

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 18:22:45 +0100

Hi list

Ok.. I got this Schimmel long 6 footer, and it simply wont bed right..
lots and lots of spring in the middle tenor (# 25 - 40) which causes
this unbelievable bounce in the hammers at rest while playing hard, and
causes lots of lost power.. After doing everything possible to correct
the bedding and getting nowhere I discovered that the balance rail is
way off from flush with the framwork on the keyframe.

This particular configuration is such that the balance rail is cut out
too accommidate the cross boards of the keyframe, and they should
present a flat surface where they are joined. But at key 35 or so on the
treble side of the crossboard the balance rail is about 0,70 mm off
(away from the keybed).

All keyframe screws are tightened down as much as I can get them. For
the moment I simply added a 1mm front paper bushing to the area (the
balance rail is also warped upwards in the tenor section, and bends
upwards and away from the bed again from about key 50 onwards, tho
bedding screws take care of that problem)

I am wondering what is best to do here... I could install a "sleeper"
bedding screw right in the middle of this section, or I could perhaps
plane the whole underside flat again,  or perhaps build up the offending
part with some laminate..

Advice boys and girls ???

Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.