doping pinblock/piano upside down

Hans E. Sanders hesand01@louisville.edu
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 09:08:41 -0500

I believe, you shouldn't even attempt to turn the piano upside down by yourself! Why do you need to do this in the first place? If this is a baby, let it sit, remove the action and apply CP from the top around the tuning pins. The extra thin small nozzles from Dryburgh are helpful to avoid spilling glue on the plate. They are even better for grands without bushings to get closer to the pinblock surface.

Hans Sander, RPT
UofLouisville, School of Music

>>> jformsma@dixie-net.com 02/09/00 07:51AM >>>
List,

Some time ago, Dr. Jim (I think it was he) posted a technique for doping an
old pinblock. Rather than attempt to drizzle the solution from the top, one
would do this from the bottom of the pinblock while the piano was upside
down. I have a 1936 Baldwin Monarch with serious pinblock attention needed.
After talking with the customer about various options, I will apply CA to
the block. The customer knows this is a no-guarantee "band-aid" fix at best,
but is willing to try it since the piano has some sentimental value. (I
applied some CA already to test what the outcome might be. The pins are much
less jumpy, and would hold tuning fairly well. I am optimistic about their
being OK after a second application.)

When I woke up this morning, my mind had already been thinking about the
upside down method of application. (I guess we think while we are asleep.)
Since this is a very small grand (probably 4' 5" or 4' 7"--didn't measure),
I think I could turn the piano upside down by myself in the customer's home.
The pins have been driven in further already, and some are very close to the
plate. Applying the solution from the bottom would eliminate the need for
being careful about getting CA on the coils and plate.

Is my thinking correct about turning the piano upside down? What are your
thoughts? Any experiences--good or bad?

Carl Meyer posted his success with epoxy. Is that preferable to CA, or will
both get the job done well?

Thanks,

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS