Making the Transition

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 09:36:44 EST

In a message dated 2/8/00 10:50:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
istuner@islandia.is writes:

<< Being an avid collector of any music recorded by Arthur Rubinstein,
 I was disappointed to find out the the grand in one recording was in fact
 out of tune.

There are a number of Jazz recordings that I used to enjoy as a teenager that
were made in the early '60s that I can't stand to hear anymore because the
piano is out of tune.  Once I got hooked on the Historical Temperament
concept about 15 years ago, I have found it hard to listen to even a very
well tuned piano in Equal Temperament.  I rarely buy a recording of piano
music because it all sounds just plain wrong to me.

>From the perspective of HT theory and practice, it is just that, all wrong.
The only thing worse is a piano which is *believed* to be in ET but is
actually in Reverse Well.  It is downright revolting.  Yet I realize that I
may be one of the very few people that even knows the difference.  Sometimes,
when people ask me how I know whether the piano is in tune or not, I tell
them that if they knew what I do, it would ruin all music for them forever,
therefore it is better that they don't know.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin