removing spoons

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 05:46:09 EST

In a message dated 2/9/00 1:36:49 AM !!!First Boot!!!, rshiflet@eaznet.com
writes:

<< Dear list,
     Some time ago I sent an email about a retrofitted action in a Gulbransen
console.  Many thanks to Newton Hunt for his correct diagnosis that the new
spoons were too tall thus causing the hammers to move towards the strings
when the damper pedal is depressed.
     I need to shorten the spoons about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.  I assume
that the best way to go about this is to remove them, trim the bottoms and
reinstall the spoon.  What is the best way to remove the spoons.  Is there an
easy way to pull them.  I'm want to avoid centerpin damage.  Does anyone have
experience with this?  Thanks in advance.

 Ron Shiflet >>

I had a similar problem once. I solved it by gently tapping the top of the
spoon with small hammer, thus causing the top of the spoon the curl into its
self. This reduced the top of the spoon enough to get away from the damper
lifter rod.

Willem Blees