Making the Transition

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 23:49:44 -0800

    Here's my story.  I was working part time in a restaurant while
studying electronics by correspondence.  After finishing, I could not
find a job in this field here in San Diego, competing with the military
and other local, experienced people.  Time and money were short, so I
began looking more closely at ads in the back of magazines  for
work/skills.  There was an ad for piano tuning in the back of a
magazine, so I inquired.  It cost more than I had at the time, so I let
it go.  A few weeks later, on a Thursday, I saw an ad in the  paper from
a local piano store: "Apprentice- learn the piano trade.  No experience
necessary..."  Something like that.  I procrastinated a few days, and
finally went down to apply.  I got the job.  I didn't know anything when
I started.
    I learned from the head technician for about a year, starting with
regulation and minor repairs.  The company bought me an Accutuner, and I
began tuning with it after a few weeks playing with it.
    After a few years, I decided to get more serious about tuning and
the trade, and joined the Guild.  My mentor had discouraged me from the
Guild, saying it was just an excuse to get together and slap each
other's backs and have some beer.  He apparently had had a bad
experience with the Guild, and didn't want me to waste my time.  Soon
after, he was fired, and my curiousity about the Guild brought me to
attend some meetings.  Many meetings later, I joined, and after a few
years, finally passed the RPT exams.
    After being with the company for about 12 years, I am still with the
company as head tech.  Still have a lot to learn, but doing well.  The
lure of independent status tugs at me sometimes, but the bene's from the
store, along with the comraderie, are hard to beat.  The only thing is,
I have to do my outside work in the eve's and weekends, which doesn't
leave much time for a life at home.  Oh well, can't have it both ways.
    I've never stuck with anything for very long, but I'm still here. I
do enjoy the business, and the Guild has helped me in more ways than I
can count.  I did quit for a few months to do some furniture repair, but
was unable to avoid tuning pianos part time anyway.  Eventually I was
hired back by the company at a much higher pay rate.
    I don't think I could quit to be full time independent and maintain
the income level at this time.  Good luck to those who make it.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego