removing spoons

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 23:49:28 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ron:

I think the simplest thing to do is to press the spoons down farther
into the wippen. For just 1/16" shortening, there should be enough
sticking out the bottom of the wippen to interfere with neighbors.
I just tried it and it works fine. I used waterpump pliers. To avoid
putting strain on the flange, remove the wippen so you can drop it
down below the damper lever. Apply the force in the same direction
as the spoon enters the wipp.

When reinstalling the wippen, be sure that you align the top of the
jack to the hammer butt and pay attention also to the alignment of
the capstan to the wippen if it is a direct blow action.

Jim Coleman, Sr.