samick tuning pins

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:55:52 EST

jonpage@mediaone.net writes:

<< I would like to heard more about loading the board and other chipping
 techniques.

I don't claim to know everything about stringing or rebuilding, I just have
my own experience and what I know from working with others.  When I do any
job, I try to get the longest, most difficult part done first.  Therefore, I
start with the tenor and work upwards.  I do the wound strings last.  I used
to pull the string to a whole tone low using a pitch pipe wanting to avoid
"overstressing" the board or whatever it was that I wanted to avoid.  Then I
got braver and tuned to 1/2 step low.  Then I realized that pulling the
string all the way up to pitch would not create any problem so that's what I
do.

I know that many stringers simply put enough tension on the string for it to
hold in place.  But I found that if I did that, I ended up with some strings
already above pitch and others loose enough that the coils would spread.  It
was chaos to do the first chipping.  If each string is pulled up to pitch as
it is installed, it will quickly fall in pitch as it settles and the others
next to it are installed.  The first two chippings will still be pitch raises
but they will be more or less evenly below pitch so that pulling the string
up to pitch can be done with one or two even strokes of the tuning hammer.
That's how a chipping can be accomplished in about 15 minutes.

The operative word in your comment was "could".  I have often heard people
warn not to do something based solely on a notion that turned out not to be
true.  One good example I remember well was when I mentioned at a seminar
back in the mid 1980's that I would put two 25 watt Dampp-Chaser
dehumidifiers under a grand in order to get more dehumidifying power.  The
immediate comment was, "Oh Bill!  That's too much heat!"  A few years later,
Dampp-Chaser came out with 50 watt dehumidifiers and multiple rods under a
grand became standard practice.  I wonder if that person still thinks what I
was doing and still do puts "too much heat" under the piano.

So, if any of the rebuilders on the List who really understand stresses and
such in the piano can prove to me that pulling up a string all the way to
pitch while stringing could really damage the piano, I'd like to read the
information and data that support that claim.  Otherwise, I'll consider this
notion that many people do have, to be just another thing that people seem to
think that has never had any basis in fact.  I know of a few others, to be
sure.

Regards,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin