Making the Transition

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 20:31:20 -0800

Terry L Jack wrote:

>   Another guestion for the group is,since many of us our musicians,what  is
> your primary instrument other than the tuning hammer? I wonder if there is
> a prodominace of trombone players.

I play accordion.  When I was a kid I took lessons for seven years.  I even won
some awards at student competitions.  When I was 14 I quit because I decided
that accordion was not a cool instrument, (I was probably right at the time).
Years later I also played in a little amateur band for a couple of years on
Friday nights.  After a bit of piano here and there, (and even an attempt at a
degree- I later settled on a minor), I have returned to the instrument after
nearly 10 years of silence.  I have been practicing pretty faithfully again and
its starting to bounce back.  I think I'll keep it up now, it's a hoot to play
despite the image and jokes.  I am happy to announce that it is coming back to
popularity again in a big way and there are clubs popping up all over the
country.  Accordion techs are actually in serious demand, (hey, there's another
enterprise for you folks!).  I looked and tried a real beauty at the NAMM show
that I am seriously considering buying.  Cost: $4000.00.  Actually not a bad
price.  All I have to do is sell my piano so I can afford it!

Rob Goodale, RPT