Making the Transition

ROBOTUNER@AOL.COM ROBOTUNER@AOL.COM
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 21:09:44 EST

       I guess I maybe shouldn't be replying to this since I have allways
been a piano tuner.And I have worked for the same dealer for 20 years.But
here is my story.
        I learned piano technology at Shenandoah Conservatory.I started in my
junior year.Prior to that I was a trombone performance major.It was in my
junior year that a former classmate returned to school a year after he had
graduated to teach piano tech.His name was Jerry Rhoads and he had been a
Bass Trombone player in the Orchestra with me.This was in 1977.
        Piano tuning had been a career option for me as early as 8th grade
when my trombone teacher James Crowe was also a tuner and I loved watching
him tune the family spinet.
        I started my career as a tuner still hopeing to get a break as a
professional trombone player.Tuneing was to be a side line.That was back in
1980 and I am now a part time trombonist and full time Concert and Artist
Technician.I even get to see my trombone teacher that I had after college
when I tune for the National Symphony(that's a name drop...I really only tune
for the National Symphony when they are playing outdoor concerts)Funny
thing..a former trombone teacher of mine,who is principle trombone in the
National Symphony, is a part time piano tuner.My piano tech teacher after
college was Rick Butler who is the full time Tuner for the National Symphony
at the Kennedy Center...He doesn't play trombone.
        Another guestion for the group is,since many of us our musicians,what
is your primary instrument other than the tuning hammer? I wonder if there is
a prodominace of trombone players.