Making the Transition

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:51:29 -0800

No offense intended Richard, but I made a concious decision
to try to appear professional.  I decided I would prefer that my
customers not lump me in with the Roto-Rooter man or
furnace repairman.  I think my profession is different from
them.  Whether it is or not is up to debate.  Now whether my
Toyota Corolla puts forth much of an impression is also
debateable.  Here in the Bay Area companies doing business
in different cities are suppose to have a business license from
each city.  I have heard of repair folk with advertising on their
vehicles getting checked for a business license.  That is really
absurd but true!

David I.

> I rarely see a piano tuner with his name on his car. Why not?  I drive a
> bright red van.  In large gold letters on the back/side windows I have
> my business name and a large gold grand piano.   Has it resulted in
> business? You bet.  People have followed me to get the phone number. It
> has paid for the $150 lettering at least five times so far.
>
> Martin, I would be glad to go over additional things that I'm doing to
> promote Oliver Piano Services if you would like to call some afternoon.
> 217-935-4284  Best of luck, it's a fine field to be in. With some of the
> nicest and most helpful people I've meet anywhere.
> Richard
>
> Martin Dubow wrote:
> >
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I'm curious about stories regarding how you went from whatever you were
> > doing
> > before, to actually making a living as a tuner. I sold a furniture
> > factory and am
> > living on reserves while I feverishly learn the trade and build up a
> > clientele. I'm
> > just praying my reserves last long enough to become viable doing this.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Martin

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA