Making the Transition

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 16:52:47 -0500

Martin,

I bought a correspondence tuning course (that shall remain unnamed to spare
me embarrassment) probably in the early 1970s; I don't know exactly when.
I didn't do much with it until I couldn't find a summer job around 1980.
I was a high school music teacher at the time, so I told my students I was
open for business tuning pianos, and that was essentially the start.

I tuned pianos part-time from 1980 until 1992 -- 3-4 per week and more in
the summer.  In 1992 when I finally burned out as a teacher I was able over
several years to make it a fulltime job, spending gobs of money on
advertising.  Now, eight years later, I have more than enough work and have
cut the advertising budget to the bone, except that I decided to hand out
pens for a year, so that cost me $642.

I'm in favor of praying, but I also suggest that you conserve financial
resources as much as possible until you find out how this is going to go.
I heard somewhere that it takes about five years to build a business to the
point you can expect a fulltime income from it.  That's about how long it
took me, and I had a head start.

I think I'm right in saying that in one of the more recent PTG surveys,
about 50% of the members made $20,000 or less from piano-related services.
That's not very much.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger