Making the Transition

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@dave-world.net
Mon, 07 Feb 2000 14:31:54 -0600

I started one year ago while employed in engineering. Took an early
retirement (63 years old) and started Jan 31,00 fulltime. I do have a
pension and a small amount of savings, plus a working wife to help. I'm
finding a good balance of shop work and tuning.  Back in the 70-80s I
had a large retail operation selling electronics so I feel that the
strong business back ground will help here.

One thing that bothers me when I read it here in the list is: "Word of
mouth advertising is the best."  That advice when taken as book, could
influence a new technican to sit and wait for tunings to pop out of the
woodwork. No doubt nothing feels better than when someone you have tuned
for gives your name to a friend and they call!  However the question is
how do you get this chain of good will established.  "Given: Excellant
work"
We must make the early calls happen. Period!  We need some form of
advertising that will work for each of us, in our particular area.

When I had my retail operation I set an advertising budget based on what
I wanted for gross sales. That budget ran from 5% to as much as %10 of
the gross. I'm doing the same now.  So far it's working. Word of mouth,
it's working now also but still not enough to make my target figure.

I rarely see a piano tuner with his name on his car. Why not?  I drive a
bright red van.  In large gold letters on the back/side windows I have
my business name and a large gold grand piano.   Has it resulted in
business? You bet.  People have followed me to get the phone number. It
has paid for the $150 lettering at least five times so far.

Martin, I would be glad to go over additional things that I'm doing to
promote Oliver Piano Services if you would like to call some afternoon.
217-935-4284  Best of luck, it's a fine field to be in. With some of the
nicest and most helpful people I've meet anywhere.
Richard